Making an insurance claim

This section has information to help you if you need to make an insurance claim.

Step-by-step procedures

The first thing you need to do is check your full policy (not just the summary) to see whether you are covered. Remember, you may be covered for the same loss under more than one policy. For example, if your money is stolen while you are on holiday, this may be covered by your all-risks household policy and also by your travel insurance. You cannot claim under more than one policy for any loss, so carefully consider which policy to claim against, bearing in mind the excess on each policy.

There are three steps to help you make a claim:

  • Call your insurer or broker as soon as you discover a problem. They often have a free emergency helpline.
  • Give brief details of the claim and request a claim form.
  • Depending on the type of claim, your insurer or broker will give you advice on what to do next. For example, if your home has been damaged, they may suggest you get some emergency repairs done. Always check that your insurer will cover the cost of any repairs.

For larger claims, such as a buildings claim on your home, you may want to hire an assessor. An assessor works on your behalf and will negotiate with your insurance company to settle your claim. Assessor’s fees are not covered by your policy, so you will have to pay for this service yourself. An assessor is not the same as a loss adjuster, who is employed by the insurance company and works on their behalf.

Last updated on 28 September 2021

Tags: ,