How do I make a complaint about a financial adviser?

If you are not happy with any aspect of the service from your financial adviser, you should put a complaint in writing to them setting out your issue and how you would like them to resolve it. If you are not satisfied with the response you receive, you can escalate the complaint to the Financial Services and Pensions Ombudsman, if the financial adviser is regulated by the Central Bank.

Last updated on 13 August 2021