Gas and electrical appliance safety

Gas, electrical and electronic products for use in the home must comply with specific safety regulations, and they must carry the CE mark.

Malfunctioning gas or electrical products can lead to serious injury or death – gas appliances can cause carbon monoxide poisoning, and unsafe or broken electrical products can be a fire hazard or electrocution risk.  So make sure you follow the product’s instructions carefully and contact ESB Networks or Gas Networks Ireland if you have any concerns.

With many kinds of electrical or gas equipment, such as a cooker or boiler, you will need a properly qualified person to install it for you. You should make sure they have the relevant certification or registration needed to carry out this job safely.

For example, when getting a gas boiler installed, always use a Registered Gas Installer. Check the Electrical Contractors Safety and Standards Association or the Register of Electrical Contractors of Ireland for a list of registered electrical contractors in your area.

 

Haven’t found what you're looking for?