If children climb on furniture it could tip over and cause them serious harm. Young children can pull themselves up on a TV stand and cause it to fall on them. Read our tips below on how to keep your home safe:
- Make sure furniture like shelves, desks, and drawers are secured to a wall. You can do this by using safety straps or L-brackets.
- The furniture should come with safety instructions for you to follow carefully. You can always contact the seller or manufacturer for advice if you have questions. If safety devices have been provided with the furniture, make sure you fit them according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- You can find drawer stops, safety straps, and L-brackets at shops that sell baby and children’s furniture, hardware and DIY shops also sell them. You can always ask a salesperson for help if you can’t find them or need help deciding which product is right for you.
- Don’t put a TV or other heavy objects on top of a chest of drawers or any furniture not designed to be used with a TV.
- Place heavy items close to the floor on shelves or in the lowest drawers.
Avoid putting items, such as toys or the remote control, on top of furniture.
- Children are curious and do not understand danger. If your child can see it, they’ll try to get it.
- Don’t let children climb or hang onto drawers, doors or shelves.