Shopper Trends Dec 2013
Research by Kantar Worldpanel on shopper trends, December 2013
Kantar Worldpanel monitors the grocery retailer take-home purchasing habits of 3,000 demographically representative Irish households. Detailed information is collected on the purchasing habits of these households.
This data provides valuable information relating to consumer purchasing patterns and behaviours in a market which is an important area of expenditure for all consumers, given that the average household in Ireland spends approximately one fifth of their total weekly expenditure on groceries.
Kantar’s recent data provides a summary update of shopper trends up to 15th September 2013.
The presentation examines:
- Total spend in the grocery market
- Sectoral performance in the grocery market
- Branded and own brand market shares
- Changes in shopper behaviour
- Comparable data for the UK grocery market
The market is seeing positive growth on an annual basis and in the shorter term by +1.2%.
- While there has been price inflation, shoppers continue to compensate for price increases by purchasing on offer and trading down to cheaper lines. In spite of this household spend has increased year on year by +2.1%.
- Irish households are spending slightly more per trip this period, and more per year, however they are making less trips.
- Shoppers continue to shop around.
- Private label continues to be important as a method of reducing spend with a market share at 37.3%.