Grocery Shopping and Pricing 2011

17 November 2011

In May and June 2011 the National Consumer Agency continued its programme of consumer research with a view to monitoring, analysing and recording patterns of consumer behaviour and experiences in Ireland.

The research, carried out by Amárach Research, was conducted by means of face-to-face interviewing with a nationally representative sample of 1,000 people between the ages of 15 to 74.  The key findings in relation to Irish consumers’ experience and attitudes with regard to shopping and pricing are:

  • 82% of consumers report that they shop around when purchasing goods and services, an increase of 11 percentage points since November/December 2010, the number that do not shop around has halved from 10% to 5%
  • Almost 3 in 4 consumers (74%) do not compare prices in relation to the medical practitioner, hospitals, and other medical providers.  66% of consumers do not compare prices when purchasing from pharmacies.
  • Over the last year, there has been a significant increase in convenience as a key influencing factor in determining where to shop, up 10 percentage points to 23%, whereas price has fallen 19 percentage points, from 72% in June 2010 to 53% at present


Grocery shopping

In relation to grocery shopping:

  • Price remains the number one determining factor in deciding where to carry out the main grocery shop, although falling by 9 percentage points to 63%, with convenience considered the second most important factor, increasing by 5 percentage points to 54%
  • The average grocery shop now consists of 65% branded goods with the remaining 35% being own brand products
  • When purchasing own brand products, 37% of main grocery shoppers are primarily concerned with the quality of the product. The second biggest influencing factor as cited by 34% is price. For a fifth (19%) of shoppers, past experience of the product is most important


Return to Market Research

Haven’t found what you’re looking for?