Commission publishes Valeo/Wardell/Robert Roberts Determination
May 1, 2015
The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission has today published the public version of the full text of its Determination concerning the proposed acquisition by Valeo Foods UK Limited (Valeo) of sole control of Wardell Roberts Limited and Robert Roberts (NI) Limited.
The Commission cleared the proposed transaction on 17 February 2015 after taking into account binding divestiture proposals submitted to the Commission by Valeo. In accordance with the Competition Act 2002, the proposals have become binding commitments. The proposed acquisition was notified under the Competition Act 2002 on 17 October 2014.
Valeo Foods UK Limited is controlled by CapVest Equity Partners II, L.P., a limited partnership established in Bermuda which principally makes private equity investments in Western Europe. Valeo is involved in the supply of various consumer goods products to the retail sector in the State and Northern Ireland including:
- The manufacture, sale and distribution of home-baking and cooking ingredients sold under the Shamrock and Odlums brands;
- The manufacture, sale and distribution of products sold under the Batchelors, Erin and Rowse brands;
- The import, sale and distribution of Italian meal solutions marketed under the Roma brand;
- The sale and distribution of the Sqeez brand;
- The import, sale and distribution of products marketed under the following brands: Jacob’s, Bolands, Picnic, Lustre, Fruitfield, Chef, Tuc, Silvermints, Double Centres, Scots Clan and Yorkshire Toffee brands; and
- The distribution of products marketed under third party brands, including Fox’s biscuits, Ballymaloe, Nature Valley, Betty Crocker, Green Giant, Old El Paso, Lavazza, Punjana, Flora, Crisp and Dry, Mazola, Pura, Fiddes Payne, and Liga brands.
Wardell Roberts Limited and Robert Roberts (NI) Limited are owned by DCC plc, an international sales, marketing, distribution and business support services group. Wardell is the holding company for both Robert Roberts Limited and Kelkin Limited. Robert Roberts and Robert Roberts (NI) Limited distribute a range of owned and agency brands to the retail and food service sectors in the State and Northern Ireland.
Robert Roberts (NI) Limited carries out the Robert Roberts operations in Northern Ireland. Robert Roberts Limited owns a portfolio of brands including Robert Roberts tea and coffee, Goodall’s home cooking, Gateaux cakes, Lemon’s and Wilton confectionery and YR sauces. Kelkin Limited is a health food company operating across a number of food segments in the State.
Return to News