CCPC car history research report June 2021
The CCPC commissioned Ipsos MRBI to conduct research into consumer experiences and behaviours when buying used vehicles. Research was carried across a nationally representative sample of 1,000 adults between 30 April – 11 May 2021.
Summary findings include:
• 4 in 10 (44%) Irish consumers have bought a used car in the last five years.
• Over half (51%) of consumers who bought used cars over the past five years, bought from a car dealership.
• Almost a quarter (23%) of consumers bought from a private seller, meaning consumer protection law did not apply.
• 21% of consumers bought from a motor garage.
• 5% buying directly from a family member or friend
• 45% reported checking if the vehicle had been previously crashed or seriously damaged before purchasing.
• Women (42%) were found to be less likely than men (48%) to check crash or serious damage history before buying.
• 1 in 5 (20%) consumers did not carry out any checks before buying a used car.
Return to Market Research