COVID-19 Temporary Merger Notification Process
March 18, 2020
The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) is aware that this is a particularly challenging time for all citizens and businesses in the State. In line with Government recommendations and in the interests of ensuring business continuity in the review of notified mergers and acquisitions, the CCPC has put in place a process of delivering operations largely by remote working. The CCPC is required to comply with binding statutory deadlines when reviewing notified mergers and acquisitions. We set out below some steps that businesses can take to assist the CCPC in carrying out its merger review functions.
The review of mergers involves the CCPC collecting and assessing information from various parties including, but not limited to, customers, competitors, and suppliers. The effective collection of this information is likely to be very difficult over the coming weeks due to the disruptions caused by COVID-19.
As we work together through these difficult times, the CCPC is encouraging notifying parties where possible to delay filing planned merger notifications until further notice.
Digital notifications – Where it is not possible to delay notifications
Notifying parties should be aware that although filing of hard copy notifications to the CCPC premises remains possible, it may become increasingly difficult due to a reduced presence of staff at the CCPC premises.
Therefore, as of 18 March 2020, the CCPC requests that notification forms and all supporting documents (i.e., material contained in annexes and appendices to the notification form) required by the CCPC be submitted in electronic format by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you intend to submit a notification or if you have difficulty with submitting a digital notification we would ask that you contact our Director of Competition Enforcement and Mergers at +353 (0)1 470 3683. Alternatively, please e-mail – email@example.com and one of the team will endeavour to assist you.
Temporary Notification Process
- Notification of a merger or acquisition must be done by completing and submitting the merger notification form to the CCPC, together with all supporting documentation. The form specifies the information required from the notifying parties and gives guidance on issues relevant for making a notification.
- Completed notification forms and all accompanying supporting documentation must be submitted to the CCPC in electronic format by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Notifications must be submitted to the CCPC before 4.30 p.m. from Monday to Friday.
- Similarly, required documents must be submitted to the CCPC under the correct reference number before 4.30 p.m. from Monday to Friday.
- If you do not receive an automated acknowledgement of your notification within 2 hours please call +353 (0)1 470 3683.
Notification of a merger or acquisition must be accompanied by a fee of €8,000 (S.I. No. 623 of 2002). The fee is payable by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) to the CCPC using the bank account details set out in the merger notification form.Return to News